Saturday, December 10, 2011

Joint account

Lynn is one of a few people (alive?) without a Facebook account. Having been a late joiner myself, I have tried to convince Lynn that it is nice to stay in touch with acquaintances, especially when I am far away. I also pointed out that I wanted her to see pictures I posted. But Lynn is private and was hard to budge so I gave up the nagging and instead found an alternative solution: I gave her my password. This means that every now and then Lynn checks in with the world and with me by logging onto my account (watch out!). And after doing so, she usually reports back on what she discovered. On the back of this card and she exclaims about babies and engagement announcements that friends had posted online that she had not known about. This never fails to make me laugh.

You see, the problem with our love affair with snail mail is that everyone else has moved on. They are blasting things to the world, while we are still sending targeted updates to each other. For us, this joint FB account/pen pal arrangement is the best of both worlds. Lynn gets my news and can spy on the world, while I am updated by Lynn (albeit more slowly). Unfortunately, the one hitch is that if Lynn has news the larger world may miss it. Yes, privacy prevails.

The card, by the way, is cut from a watercolor painting. It did not scan well, but I can vouch for the fact that it is way more beautiful in real life. Come to Ghana and you can see for yourself. :-)

3 comments:

  1. The NYT reports that Lynn is not the only one resisting, or being badgered by her friends to join Facebook. Sorry Pal!

    http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/14/technology/shunning-facebook-and-living-to-tell-about-it.html?_r=1&scp=1&sq=facebook%20resisters&st=cse

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was laughing about this again New Years Day when Jessica heard in just a few hours I had run into a mutual friend in Traverse City- the instant contact of FB at work! I benefited (?) even though I don't have an account.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that I am in Ghana but still get small town gossip. You can refuse to sign up for FB, but you cannot hide it seem! For this, I am glad. xxx

      Delete